A broken water pump can be a very serious problem and if severe enough the lack of water service can render the structures unlivable. However, observant people can learn to recognize signs that there may be a problem with the water pump before it becomes catastrophic. Here are some of the common issues that property owners can learn to spot that indicate a broken water pump:
1) Decrease in water pressure. One of the most commons signs of a malfunctioning pump is a decrease in water pressure. It may happen either gradually or over time depending on the cause. One of the best ways to spot a decrease in pressure is to know how many gallons per minute are delivered. Use a bucket at the faucet closest to the pump, while all other water using fixtures are shut off, and clock how long it takes to fill it thereby calculating the gallons per minute. Compare this number with the capacity of the pump.
2) Inconsistent water flow. When certain internal components of the water pump break such as the impeller, but do not completely fail, the pump may deliver inconsistent water flow. One section, water will come out of the faucet full blast but the next it will barely trickle.
3) Significantly higher electric bill. Sometimes the first sign there is a problem with the water pump is an electric bill that skyrocketed. The reason for the increase in the bill is that the malfunctioning pump is drawing more power than normal to compensate for the broken component or clog.
4) Strange sounds coming from the well. The impeller inside the pump may emit an odd sound which is caused by the pump straining to deliver the needed water pressure. Audible pops, tings, bangs, and grinding may be signs that there is an issue with the well pump. These sounds also may transmit through the piping inside the structure making them noticeable while water using devices are turned on.
5) No water at the tap. Many of the newer pumps have safety devices installed so that if they run dry, the pump turns off so that the motor and impeller does not burn up. Sometimes these safety devices are actually the malfunctioning component and require service.
If any of these signs are observed, contact a professional immediately. Property owners can save time and money if these issues are corrected before they become costly.
Tags: Water Pumps